R U OK?'s vision is a world where we're all connected and protected from suicide. Our mission is to inspire and empower everyone to meaningfully connect with people around them and support anyone struggling with life.
By inspiring people to take the time to ask "Are you OK?" and listen, we can help people struggling with life feel connected long before they even think about suicide.
About 8 people take their lives every day in Australia*
Sadly, for every death, it’s estimated 30 people will attempt suicide^
89% of people report knowing someone who has made an attempt*^
Every step you take in July can make a difference.
Last year we kicked off K’s for R U OK? because we wanted Aussies to stay connected during a difficult time.
Things might look a little different this year, but a more connected world is always our key goal. With this challenge, we want to encourage you to build healthy habits, deepen connections with your friends and family, and raise awareness about the importance of taking the time to ask “are you ok?”.
- Create new campaigns and free resources to inspire regular meaningful conversations
- Expand the campaign's reach so we're there to support more schools, workplaces and communities
- Conduct more rigorous research and evaluation to continually improve our work
- Reach more at-risk communities.
Your efforts will show Australia the life-changing power of a conversation. Go YOU!
* Australian Bureau of Statistics (2020). Causes of Death, Australia, 2019. Catalogue No. 3303.0. Belconnen, ACT
^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (2008). National survey of mental health and wellbeing: summary of results, 2007, Catalogue No. 4326.0, Canberra, ACT
*^ Sanford, R (2016). The Ripple Effect: Understanding the Exposure and Impact of Suicide in Australia, Sydney, Suicide Prevention Australia. ISBN: 978-1-921597-70-1